10 Amazing Facts About How Your Brain Works


1. The size of brain changes under stress

1It may seem odd, but it is what really happens. When you are engrossed in some problem which causes stress, your brain shrinks. This fact was originated after many studies on a group of baby monkeys where half of them were taken under the care of their peers while the rest stayed under the supervision of their mothers. It was analyzed that the brains of the monkeys who had been separated from their mothers; have decreased in size. Therefore try to remain free of stress otherwise your brain will reduce to the size of a walnut.

2. Fast moving and slow moving neurons

2
Your brain is made up of billions of neurons. Not all of them carry messages at the same speed. Some are as slow as 0.4m/s while the others operate at an extra ordinary speed of 120m/s. This is roughly the same speed as that of a hunting cheetah. So, before criticizing your or someone else’s brain, do remember there are billions of cheetahs running at their top speed inside your brain.

3. The power-sucking organ

3
The brain constitutes only 2% of your total body weight but it consumes 20-22% of the total energy generated by the body. Considering the size of this organ, this seems a huge share and undoubtedly; it is. This energy is channelized for efficient working of the neurons and keeping them well.

4. Exercise more to boost your brain power

4
Exercise is essential for keeping you in good physical shape but is it helpful in the same manner for the brain? The answer is yes. Lifetime exercise can result in the enhancement of the brain’s performance, sometimes quite astonishingly. When you exercise, your brain takes it as a sign of stress and brings about the required functions to cope up with this stress. This result in an overall boost in the brain power so whenever you are going to solve a complex numerical of physics, move your head to and fro for two minutes and then decipher the mystery behind that numerical.

5. Vision outweighs all other senses

5
Our human brain is implausible at comprehending pictures. If you read a text, you will forget it after 45 minutes generally but if you look at a picture, it will take 4.8 hours before you fail to remember it. It is because our brain sees the words as pictures and has to toil to examine various features in the letters before carrying out the function of transmission. That takes time. The next time you want to learn a lecture, try to convert the concepts into pictures and you will be surprised at the percentage of the lecture you are able to memorize.

6. Blood vessels everywhere

6
There are about 150,000 miles of blood vessels constrained in 1260cm3 space of your brain which means there are 11.9 miles of blood vessels in each cm3. These vessels have to provide a lot blood and oxygen to the brain therefore these vessels are stronger and have the ability to endure tension.

7. The brain is well when you sleep well

7
Sleeplessness is the enemy of brain nourishment. It is common sense. Your brain is your powerhouse. If you want it to function efficiently, you have to provide it ample time for rest. Sleep is necessary for the brain to process and unite knowledge and for memories to establish. Sleep loss hurts attention, creativity and the ability of interlinking different situations to their effects. If you sleep well, the performance of your brain boosts up by 10%. Hence, do not stay awake late at night to prepare for you exams. This will, in fact, stress you and your brain more resulting in bad result.

8. Major part of the brain

8
Although there are billions of neurons in the brain but they only constitutes 10% of the brain’s total space. The rest of the 90% is filled up by glial cells. These cells hold together the neurons and sweep away the excess neurotransmitters from the brain. It can be called as the mop of your brain.

9. Amygdala

Amygdalate is a constructive part of the brain. Its sole function is to trigger clues in your mind about other people just by visualizing their expressions and postures. This is software that detects various moods like sadness, anxiety and excitement.
9

10. Decisiveness

10
Males are good at making quick judgments. Women take longer to come up with the decisions. The brains of the men are designed, by nature, in a way that they can interlink the urgent situation with its expected effects in less time to come up with a decision.
Sources
1. http://www.emedexpert.com/
2. https://blog.bufferapp.com
3. http://examinedexistence.com/
4. http://theweek.com/
5. http://psychology.about.com/
6. http://mixtopten.com/

Add Comment